Sunday, January 24, 2010

Disney Dining

So this will probably be an on going series into one of the things I know best about Disney -- their restaurants. In this first post I will feature one of my favorite meals at Coral Reef.

This last September my family and I went to WDW for 10 days, and we made ADRs (advanced dining reservations) at a couple new places. Coral Reef being one of them. You have to understand that CR gets a lot of mixed reviews, and is in my opinion, very underrated. The interior is just spectacular, basically you're dining in front of this massive ceiling to floor aquarium.




I really cannot describe it in words or pictures, you MUST see it for yourself.

They brought out some bread, and seriously, Disney has the BEST butter I have ever tasted.




We started off with an appetizer, and I got the mixed greens salad. It had apples, tomatoes, mixed greens, and a flavorful creamy blue cheese dressing. I am not a fan of blue cheese or it's dressing, so this was definitely a risk. You can also get key lime viniagrette on it, and I'm sure that would be delicious. The salad was magnificent, and a great starter.




During this trip I got pretty sick with some kind of cold that made my throat really hurt. I had planned on ordering the blackened catfish, but I thought the spiciness might be too rough for my throat. So I settled on the grilled mahi mahi. It's served cashew jasmine rice and topped with a pineapple chutney. Mahi Mahi is a very firm fish that's great for people who don't really like seafood, since it's not 'fishy' at all.




The real star of the meal though, in my opinion, was what my mom ordered. She wanted the blackened catfish, but since she's not a catfish fan, she subbed tilapia for it.It comes with pepperjack cheese grits. This was the first time I had ever tasted grits, and they're actually very yummy. This whole combo was absolutely wonderful, and I crave it all the time.




Dessert can only be described by 'ahhhh-mazing'. Maple creme brulee -- that's all there is to say.




I will definitely be wanting to return to Coral Reef on the college program, and I hope I just helped some of you decide to join me! Lol.

I may do some more of these when I'm bored of some of my favorite restaurants and snacks. Should I or shouldn't I? What do you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. Definitely do more of them!

    it's great to read about experiences while dining!

    ReplyDelete